May 9, 2010

First Hike - Helyar Woods - May 9, 2010


I started with something easy, with the intention of taking on another half mile or so per week.  NJ Hiking has a page of Short Hikes in NJ so I used that to help me get started.

Helyar Woods is on the Rutgers University campus, quite close to my home.  It's a popular place for a dog walk. It's not quiet - the highway is close by. The trail went through the forest, around by a field (a plaque called it the "field of heroes") and through an old Christmas tree farm. 

Length:  About 1.5-2 miles??  I believe RU says it's 1.5 miles. It's possible we went further as we seem to have strayed from the main trail, which should have been a loop. We turned back when it was obvious this wasn't the right way. I apparently missed the main trailhead, probably because there was something going on there that day and someone was parked in front of it when we got there.  I saw it when we got out, it was over to the right of where we went in/came out.  I guess we went in the out door. 

Link to Picasa Album

No comments:

Post a Comment