July 30, 2010

Short Summer Hikes in Maine

This summer I spent in Maine, where I grew up. My hometown has some really nice trails that are owned and maintained by the city. The largest of these is City Forest, and there are a few others. We went on all but 1 of them.

The Maine weather was fantastic all summer.  Sammy and I took short hikes/nature walks all over the place, in and around town.  My town and one of the neighboring towns have land trusts, and this means large conservation areas with walking/hiking trails. 

First we went to City Forest. Had a nice 3 mile hike-made a loop of the East and West trails, connected by the "rabbit" trail. Was level and easy, smelled delightful - spruce and pine. There were lots of birds, and blueberries! Mostly forest with a field of wildflowers.

This was taken with my camera phone - sorry for the poor quality. We also went through Essex Woods and Prentiss Woods, both of which I quite enjoyed, but I don't seem to have any pictures. 

I also did a short trail at Gould's Landing.  Don't really recommend it though.


Sammy and I also went on a trail we found at Craig's Pond, a popular swimming spot.  

There may have been others.  We made an attempt to climb Chick Hill, but it didn't go very well.  We found a trail, not sure if it was the one we were supposed to be on.  Eventually got creeped out and left!

No comments:

Post a Comment